This blog was created to share handouts that I have made for Young Women's. Feel free to use any or all of the handouts or ideas on here. I only teach once a month, but I will post my handouts as soon as I have them prepared.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Family Proclamation Craft

My Mia Maids decided that they wanted to
make a Family Proclamation Craft.
We ended up making them last night and they turned out awesome!
Here is what the final product looks like:
 Supplies needed:
- A piece of 5x7x1 wood
- Minwax Wood Finish in Ebony #2718 (bought at Home Depot)
- Family Proclamation printout
- ModPodge
- Sponge brushes
- Blow dryer
- Sandpaper (optional)
- Brown stamp ink (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)

I forgot to take pictures of the step by step process.
If you have questions. please let me know!

1. I found a piece of wood that was 5 1/2" by 59".
I needed 8 squares, so my husband cut them 7 1/4" long.
2. Stain every side of the wood and let dry for a few days.
3. Put a light coat of ModPodge onto the block.
Carefully put printout onto the wood and smooth it out with your fingers.
Make sure that you get all of the bubbles out of the back of the paper.
4. Let dry for a few mintues.
5. Put a good coat of ModPodge over the top of the block.
You want to cover the paper and wood with ModPodge.
Make sure the brush strokes are in the same direction.
Here is a picture of the block up to that step:
 6. Turn blow dryer on low and dry ModPodge for 2-4 minutes.
Since we were short on time, I brought a blow dryer to dry it faster.
7. Add another 1-2 coats, blow drying after each coat.
8. Take sandpaper and sand around edges to antique the wood (optional).
9. Stamp the edges of the paper with brown ink and smudge with a
paper towel or your fingers to antique (optional).
10. Tie ribbon around one of the wood edges to decorate (optional).
You can see in the pictures that I posted that we did everything up to step 8.

There are many ways that you could decorate it.
I like the simplicity of the block.
Here are my Mia Maids with their blocks they made.
It was a fun and easy craft.
And now the girls have their own personal Proclamation for their rooms.
Also, this activity fulfilled a Divine Nature Personalized Value Experience.
"Using a handicraft you have learned, make something for your current or future home."
Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know that you stopped by!